2.21.2007

Chinese Democracy?

I'm not sure anyone other than me and maybe JonLee care at this point, but a track from the long-awaited (12 years!) new Guns 'n Roses album has been leaked. You can find it here.

My verdict: not as bad as I was expecting, but nothing that sounds worth ten years of "work". Still, nice to hear Axl again, if only to relive that brief period of my life when I was trying to be metal.

BTW, the host site, Hype Machine, is a great source of new music. It basically posts the songs that have been blogged by other MP3 music sites. HM allows you to click back to the original blog posts and search for related posts on the same song or artist. Nice.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Here's my initial impression, having listened to the song a grand total of one time: it's a good song, meaning that it does manage to be catchy, will probably get radio air time, and is something I'd like on my iPod while I'm at the gym. I will listen to the song again, and will probably find myself singing along with it while driving in my car. I think Mr. Rose has done an interesting job of evolving, or perhaps just plain reinventing himself: "Better" still has the slight flavor of Guns N' Roses, but is obviously on a different level, both musically and in terms of maturity.

However, something about the song immediately seemed, well, off. For one, I couldn't imagine anybody headbanging or moshing to it, or holding up a lit lighter in silent adoration. But that still didn't fit the kind of wrongness I was sensing, and it took me quite a while to figure out what the problem was: that "Better" sounds to me less like a Guns N' Roses song, and more like something that would appear on a Moby record, with guest vocals by Axl Rose. This is the reason I can only say that the reinvention of Guns N' Roses is interesting, and not admirable or incredible.

I honestly wish I hadn't known that this was a Guns N' Roses song upon first hearing it. The song is, by itself, good; but it doesn't match up with the sheer ferocity of emotion--both angry and sentimental--that is so integral to "Welcome to the Jungle," "Sweet Child of Mine," and "Don't Cry."

So I'm torn. But then, after a twelve-year build-up, how could the song do anything but disappoint, at least a little?

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home