2.02.2007

Obi, You Can Drive My Car



So apparently Sean Lennon is a big Star Wars geek, or so he claims in this article. But Lennon makes another interesting admission in the interview:

Sean Lennon was so affected by seeing The Empire Strikes Back that he couldn't help but test his Jedi powers as a child. "I used to stare at my mom's station wagon for hours on end trying to levitate it with my mind," the singer/songwriter laughs. "It took me some time to stop believing in the Force literally. In fact, I'm not sure I've really stopped. I just don't try to levitate things with my mind anymore. Well, not that often anyway."

Really? A station wagon? Your father was one of the most popular recording artists of the 20th-century and Yoko was driving a station wagon? I find this a little hard to swallow, even in light of the Lennono's well-known proclamations of "power to the people" and all that. If nothing else, New York City doesn't seem like the kind of place where you would see anyone, let alone a former Beatle, cruising down Broadway in a station wagon.

So is this Lennon's attempt to connect with the masses? I've got nothing against the guy; in fact, with his declaration of love for all things Star Wars, I'm prepared to give him even more credibility. But a station wagon? I'm not buying it.

Anyway, Lennon, like many of us, has found a very personal connection with the characters of the latter episodes:

As much as he enjoyed seeing the evolution of Darth Vader in Episode III, his favorite scenes are still from The Empire Strikes Back. "My favorite scene by far is Luke and Yoda in Dagobah," Lennon says. "Isn't that everyone's? Yoda demonstrates the nature of the Force, passing on his ancient wisdom. Then Luke must deal with his second mentor's death. Now he has lost his parents, Obi-Wan and Yoda. He knows the meaning of life and is ready to face his destiny. And I suppose I identify with Luke too because of the whole having lost his father."

I would have never dared hope that two of my favorite obsessions would come together (Har!) so well. Look for me at the next Star Wars Celebration in the flowing robes of a true Hippie Jedi. But under no circumstances will I be arriving in a fucking station wagon, unless, of course, Yoko is at the wheel, ready to attack the Death Star. Or Sir McCartney, as the case may be.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

I saw a hot jaguar station wagon yesterday. I followed it down 100 East trying desperately to see if I knew the driver. She went right and I went straight and I STILL didn't get a good look. Back to the car. I could totally see Yoko driving a jaguar wagon. Hell, IT leavitated me right out of my seat!

7:26 PM  
Blogger Chazzbot said...

I'm wondering how sporty station wagons could have possibly been in the 1970's. The whole idea of a Jaguar wagon is somewhat disturbing. Curse you, boomers!

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home