10.26.2007

(Mormon) Life in a Southern (Idaho) Town

Sarah Hepola presents interviews with two Mormon teenagers living in Southern Idaho. Some choice quotes from the first interview:

I can't quite get inside Joseph Smith's head. I don't know if he was truly crazy and believed his own hype, or if he was just a con artist.

Mormons are so nice because they are trying to entice you into being one of them. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Once I made these really tasty brownies that had COFFEE in the recipe for a Church young women's function. (I rode my bicycle to a town 15 miles away to buy the coffee so no sales clerk would tell my parents. I live in a police state.)

and the second interview:

The craziest thing about Mormonism is the garbage that supposedly educated and intelligent people will believe.

[My mother] had 10 kids. It is therefore safe to assume that she has had sex exactly 10 times in her life. I know that all kids think this of their parents, but it is the gospel truth in my mother's case.

I've never met a nice Mormon over the age of 21. . . If they seem nice, it's an act. They have ulterior motives.

I might consider smoking a cigarrette, but they're not sold in my town, and I can't afford to buy them anyway.

Mitt Romney looks like a corpse.

I'm to the point in my life where I regard religion itself as a crock of hooey. The Mormons are no more or less misguided or "curious" than any other denomination. Still, I found the interviews entertaining. I applaud the ability of these young women to think for themselves. But I'm still waiting for the day when an atheist can openly run for national office and be a viable candidate.

3 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

As long as your athiest canditate doesn't look like a corpse you should be fine!

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"But am I sane? My physics teacher, who is my Bishop's first counselor, thinks not. I call him Brother Shithead."

BWHAHAHAHAHA! I'm crying here.

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm from the Pocatello ID area originally - grew up in a smaller town (about half LDS) a few miles away... $15,000 for a mission ? I'm paying for my son's and it's a level $400/missionary/month in the US - no matter where they go. 24 months X $400 = $9,600 (plus about $950 for clothing for 2 years. Wish I could dress for $950 for 2 years. Wish my ex-wife could have.) Life will change, it's not all wonderful everywhere else, I've worked extended time in major cities all over - lived in these states - UT, TX, AL, OH and been to 48 of the 50 states and they all have issues to deal with... enjoy your time in a placid place, it's a messy world out there.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home