10.18.2007

The Internet Is Now Slightly Less Interesting

Two of my favorite websites (favorites, it should be noted, for entirely different reasons) have closed their virtual doors.

DVD Journal, one of the most intelligently written and least commercialized (coincidence?) review sites shut down at the end of August, though you can still access their catalog of DVD reviews. I looked forward to their weekly recommendations, which often drew my attention to films I had either never heard of or had somehow missed (as any decent review site should do). Among my favorite reviews, however, are Alexandra DuPont's detailed comments on the first three episodes of the Star Wars Saga. Take advantage of this valuable archive, if you haven't before. Additionally, their goodbye essay is a cogent and frank assessment of the current state of the home entertainment industry.

Another favorite, a site that was always first on my daily blogroll, was Billville, my brother's blog. Besides serving the practical purpose of allowing me to keep tabs on my geographically distant brother, his site offered a consistently diverse, yet engaging, roster of topics, ranging from librarian politics, poetry, MP3s (or, as my mother refers to them, MVPs), cartography, politics, gaming, Al Gore, and the Zune. God help us, the Zune.

Anyway, if you've enjoyed the site, I'm sure the author would appreciate a message.

The coveted position that Billville occupied at the top of my daily blogroll will now be ceded to the less personally relevant, but even more topically diverse site, kottke.org.

In the wake of these irreplacable sites, Chazzbot struggles to stay afloat, for whoever the fuck reads it anymore.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your loyal readers are still here.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Chazzbot said...

Forgive me for sounding petulant. I know you're out there! The whole idea of this blog having "loyal readers" blows my mind. I will continue to strive to be worthy of you.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And I, Sir Charles, will also ever be here. How, I ask, could I not?

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm here too!

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home