10.03.2007

Space Shuttle Enterprise, Hill AFB


This photo was taken in August 1979, when the Enterprise was nearing the end of its testing phase. These tests mostly consisted of atmospheric gliding and runway landings, since this shuttle was never intended for spaceflight.

That's me and my brother in the photo. I was so excited to see the shuttle that day, I rode my bike up to the flightline (or as close as I could get to it) to see the 747 land. Then, later in the day, the family went up to see it and this photo was taken (probably by my dad).

I remember being very annoyed after hearing that some handicapped kid had been allowed to enter the shuttle cockpit. I had been keeping a scrapbook of newspaper articles about the development of the shuttle for months (a scrapbook I still have) and felt that I was a much more deserving choice to go into the cockpit. What did that handicapped kid know about the shuttle, anyway? Stupid handicapped kid!

The first shuttle launch (Columbia) into orbit was about two years away. The Enterprise was my Sputnik.

Thanks to Billville for digging up the photo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home