1.18.2007

Things I'm Excited About

ITEM! Starting today, the Sundance Film Festival is posting this year's short film entries for streaming and/or downloading on its website. This is an amazing opportunity to see some films that would be difficult to access anywhere other than the Festival screenings themselves. I hope this becomes an annual component of the Festival.

I've always wanted to attend Sundance, not necessarily for the opportunity to gawk at celebrities, but, oddly enough, to see the films. I'm not prepared to argue that the films that make it into the Festival are of a higher quality than any other festival's program, but I do like the idea of being exposed to a film on its own merits, without any of the publicity or hype that affects so many of my movie-attending decisions.

Another potentially interesting development at this year's festival is the presentation of the MPAA's revisions in their guidelines for film ratings. More on this here. Will this be the year that U.S. films are finally given an adult designation aside from the dreaded X or NC-17 rating? Stay tuned.

ITEM! Tonight, the Justice League of America makes its live-action TV debut on Smallville. I am unreasonably geeked about this, even without the appearance of either Batman or Wonder Woman, who are busy with their movie franchises, apparently.

ITEM! I want to buy this book--one of the few times I've seen an Amazon recommendation for something I haven't already heard of and/or purchased--solely on the basis of its title.

ITEM! I am only 50 pages into this book, which I purchased over the Christmas break, but it is already shaping up to be one of the most fascinating and intellectually stimulating SF novels I've come across in a long time. Weird and innovative.

ITEM! The Raelians are coming to Cedar City. I hope to blog on this later. Unless I am abducted again.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home