2.19.2006

100 Things I Love About Comics

I'm not the first to do this. I suspect I won't be the last.

1. "I'm the goddamn Batman."
2. Mutts
3. Chris Ware
4. The one-volume edition of Bone
5. Lone Wolf & Cub
6. J. Scott Campbell's women
7. Ghost World (the movie and the comic)
8. George Perez drawing superhero teams
9. Preacher
10. The Fantastic Four (not the movie!)
11. Get Fuzzy
12. The Sandman
13. Ray & Maggie down at Leo's
14. Omnibus reprints of classic comics
15. Jack Cole's Plastic Man
16. Joe Sacco
17. Harvey Pekar
18. Charles Schulz
19. The Silver Surfer
20. Robert Crumb's women
21. Alex Ross
22. The Comics Journal
23. "The Comedian is dead."
24. Calvin & Hobbes
25. Jeffrey Brown
26. "With great power comes great responsibility."
27. The continual death and rebirth of superheroes and their enemies.
28. The Flaming Carrot
29. "Listen. Kid. Cerebus is in love with your wife."
30. Alan Moore
31. The trailer for Superman Returns
32. "To me, my X-Men."
33. Zot!
34. "Human? Why should I want to be human?"
35. Jack Kirby
36. "Me so happy."
37. Two-page splashes
38. Superman: Red Son
39. Action figures
40. The Galactus trilogy
41. Art Adams
42. Beta-Ray Bill
43. Kandor
44. "You die alone. Unmourned. And unloved."
45. Superman: The Movie
46. "Here's to crime."
47. Charles Burns
48. Uncle Scrooge
49. Paul Chadwick's Concrete
50. "He is this lightning, he is this madness."
51. Frank Miller's Daredevil
52. Bill Sienkiewicz
53. Fables
54. Michael Allred's adaptation of the Book of Mormon
55. Dave Gibbons
56. The lobotomization of Doctor Light
57. Milk & Cheese: Dairy Products Gone Bad!
58. Steve Rude
59. The Mysterymen
60. Adrian Tomine
61. Planetary
62. The Creator's Bill of Rights
63. Sin City (the movie and the comic)
64. Curt Swan
65. "This is an imaginary story. . . Aren't they all?"
66. The re-imagining of Swamp Thing
67. Thor: Vikings
68. Chester Brown's adaptation of the Gospel
69. Collecting a complete run of one title
70. Todd MacFarlane's Spider-Man
71. The Jewish heritage of Benjamin J. Grimm
72. The Tomb of Dracula
73. Young Miracleman's rampage in London
74. "Oof-da!"
75. Akira (the movie and the manga)
76. Hugh Jackman's Wolverine
77. Nexus
78. Hal Jordan goes insane
79. "We should form a club or a league or something."
80. Adam Hughes' Wonder Woman
81. Tintin

4 Comments:

Blogger BookMan said...

So what's your take on Batman now going after Al Queda? The creator admits that it's total propaganda, but says "it worked for superman: he punched out Hitler." (Rough paraphrase, BTW).

Mason is OBSESSED with superheroes, but now I have to wonder how I will handle this one.

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are the other 19 things you love about comics?

5:07 PM  
Blogger Chazzbot said...

I fell on my knees in joy when I heard about the Batman/Al Queda issue. This is one of the subjects of my dissertation: how popular culture and, specifically, comics are used to promote and disseminate reactions to terrorism. There have been several instances in which 9/11 or its consequences have been referenced in superhero comics, but I never dreamed we'd see the days of Captain America socking Hitler return. Of course, Frank Miller, the author of the Batman/Al Queda book, is well aware of how comics have been used as tools of propoganda, but seeing these pop culture trends return in full force goes a long way toward proving my theory for me.

The other 19 things I love about comics will be forthcoming. I've written them in a notebook, but it takes a while to find appropriate weblinks for them on the blog. Should be up within 24 hours or so. Thanks for asking!

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to know that you will finish this list. I'm not the cliffhanger-type.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home