11.13.2005

Things I Don't Understand Today

I just came across these two articles, both of which are pretty disturbing, but for very different reasons.

I've read a lot of the 9/11 conspiracy theories, mostly while doing dissertation research. Now a physics professor from, of all places, BYU has entered the fray. The most surprising things about this article are 1) it was published in the LDS-owned Deseret News, a highly conservative newspaper, 2) the article has not been taken off the paper's website since its Thursday publication, and 3) the professor in question makes some pretty credible evaluations of the WTC collapse without sounding like a complete kook. Try to read this article before it disappears like so much Twin Tower dust.

And on a completely different note. . .

Why is Fox run by idiots? Extending The X-Files past its shelf life, cancelling one of the best-written SF shows of the last 10 years, and filling up airtime with conspiracy theories on the moon landings. Now it looks like Arrested Development is about to be added to the studio's catalogue of premature cancellations. Why, Mr. Murdoch? Why?

Another thing I don't understand is why my handsome photo has been dropped to the bottom of the blogpage. I suppose it provides me with a certain anonymity for casual readers, and the sense of buried treasure for people who read all the way to the bottom of the page ("What? Personal details on the author? Yes!"), but I'm guessing it's some kind of fuck-up on the part of my kind host, Blogger. Does anyone out there know how to fix this?

Chazzbot would also like to extend a warm welcome to Bryon, who found my earlier post on Eureka, California. Bryon writes the Mondok Blog and is a "behind-the-scenes pastor," so he can probably relate to the whole conspiracy theory lifestyle.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Off the subject, but your guy Vollmann won the National Book Award. :)

7:26 AM  
Blogger Bryonm said...

Chazzbot: thanks for plugging my blog. You called it when you said I can probably relate to the conspiracy theory kind of thinking. That and "spin," I hate to admit.

There are more conspiracy theories around the Twin Towers than you can imagine. I worked in Africa and have spent time in the Middle East and the enemy of whoever my host culture was is alway the culprit of those towers collapsing. Crazy.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home