11.12.2005

The Wit & Wisdom of Jim Steinman

So I've been slowly unboxing several years' worth of music magazines and trying to get them all sorted, a project of such magnitude that I'm increasingly worried that it will take the rest of my life. But when and if I ever finish, I should have a fairly comprehensive library of British and U.S. music mags going back to the mid-80's.

OK, it's nowhere near comprehensive, but you'd never guess that from looking at all the piles of Rolling Stone in my basement. And my students wonder why it takes me so long to grade their papers. Hey, you degree-seeking lumps--I'm busy!

Anyway, I was pleased to come across this gem of a sidebar in the October 1993 issue of Q. And if you're not familiar with Steinman, the songwriting genius who brought us, among other treasures, "You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth," then you are beyond saving.

Here's what The Stein-Man had to say on some of the artists he's produced over the years:

on Barry Manilow:
"He's very driven."

on Bonnie ("Total Eclipse of the Heart") Tyler:
"A Welsh dairy maid with a lusty body."

on Barbra Streisand:
"She has beautiful breasts."

on Air Supply:
"The two most boring people I've ever met, but I found that mesmerising."

on Def Leppard:
"We were in Dublin and I was saying how great it was to be in the city of Yeats and Joyce--[lead singer] Joe Elliott said they hadn't met any local musicians yet."

on his unique brand of music:
"Bombastic? I take that as a compliment. Rock & roll is the most bombastic form ever."

Some days it don't come easy. Some days it don't come at all.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The world needs more Welsh dairy maids with lusty bodies that sing about things like hearts eclipsing and things faster than the speed of night and how loving you's a dirty game but somebody's got to do it.

My brother and I have been deadhard Jim fans for a few years and the older I get, the more Steinman's prose make sense. Can something be both poignant and bombastic?

Would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would he offer me his hunger?

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes.

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And will he starve without me?

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And does he love me?

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Chazzbot said...

The readers of Chazzbot are a strange lot. I find it only in my power to love them, not to explain them.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home