7.13.2007

My Agency Doesn't Let Me Do Overtime

I was going to tell you all about my new summer job as a customer service representative for the New AT&T, but I think you will probably get much of the same information in a more entertaining fashion by reading this feature from The Onion and this brilliant, honest essay (in PDF format) from loyal Chazzbot reader, Brandon Schrand.

Anyway, my schedule for the next few weeks consists of teaching my summer class in the early afternoon and working nights as a phone jockey. Actually, before I start healing the wounds of AT&T customers, I have to get through eight weeks of easy money--er--extensive training. At the end of my first week, the ratio of classtime worked out to approximately 2.5 hours per night spent on actual training, 3 hours spent listening to our trainer's stories of how she deals with bad customer service at hospitals and local restaurants, 1 hour of arts & crafts (Seriously. Last night we made fold-up paper pyramids featuring the five steps of account verification.) and 1.5 hours of listening to the three Vegas transplants in our class telling us how lame life in Southern Utah is. Whee!

Maybe I'll share some training stories later. In the meantime, hope you're enjoying your summer.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

At the Best Buy, we were divided into teams and had to come up with Cheers that incorporated the store number (#858 in beautiful Bloomington, Indiana). Our group came up with "858 Annihilate!" It was absolutely humiliating.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Chazzbot said...

Last night, for the last hour or so of "work", we played AT&T Wireless Pictionary. Our group was designated "Team Bonecrusher."

Maybe I shouldn't complain. When I was temping at the bucket factory last month, the workdays were 12-hour shifts with no stupid games whatsoever.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to Schrand's essay. Brilliant stuff (no surprise there).

3:43 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

I was a cold caller for Gold's Gym for about a week when I called and asked the nice man if he'd be interested in a 2 week free membership to which he replied (in a black southern accent) "Girl I got both my fuckin' legs blown off in Nam! Now get the hell off my phone!" I tendered my resignation shortly after the manager told me I could have played up working on upperbody strength and stress releif. Yeah Right!

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very kind of you to link to that essay. It was fun to write; less fun to have lived that life for 6 years. But it's all grist for the mill as you have no doubt already noticed!

bs

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home