8.23.2006

My 25 (Or So) Favorite TV Characters Ever

Inspired by this post and its included links, and by the fact that, having finished writing my syllabi, I have nothing better to do. Couldn't quite keep it to 25, so you get some bonus characters.

1. Homer Simpson
(80% of my everyday conversation comes from this character.)
2. Andy Sipowicz, NYPD Blue
(I love the arc of this character through the series. Strangely parallels my father's attempts at redemption.)
3. Tony Soprano
(He won't die in the end. I can feel it.)
4. Lt. Commander Worf, Star Trek: TNG and DS9
(In his best moments, Worf is the Prince Hal of Star Trek.)
5. Doctor Who
(Especially as portrayed by Tom Baker, though Christopher Eccleston's Doctor is a close second.)
6. Spock
7. T-Bag, Prison Break
(Not one to apologize for who he is or bullshit about his motivations. Even though he's, you know, a child rapist.)
8. Dana Scully, The X-Files
(Torn between her science and her faith. Gorgeously conflicted.)
9. Garak, Deep Space Nine
(I love how it takes him five minutes to articulate his lines.)
10. Det. Mick Belker, Hill Street Blues
(An early model for my high school persona.)
11. Toby Ziegler, The West Wing
(He's moody and his brother's an astronaut.)
12. Dr. Gregory House
(I am so close to being just like him.)
13. Det. Vic Mackey, The Shield
(So street. I like how he calls douchbags "pussies," and calls pussies "douchebags.")
14. Col. Henry Blake, M*A*S*H
(The clown who died tragically, precipitating a long, slow decline in the series.)
15. Elaine Benes, Seinfeld
(Pretty much just for the dance.)
16. Lt. Colleen McMurphy, China Beach
(Pretty much the most depressing goddamn show I've ever watched. I like the flashforward to her as a depressed PTSD victim in the show's final season.)
17. John Locke, Lost
(Another whacked-out Jesus freak. But, for him, it works.)
18. Lurch, The Addams Family
(Genius. I bust out just seeing him. I hang on his every moan.)
19. The Robot, Lost in Space
(At one point during my childhood, I wanted to be this dude. Warning!)
20. Dr. Johnny Fever, WKRP in Cincinnatti
(Strangely, probably the character that had the most influence on my adult life.)
21. Londo Mollari, Babylon 5
(Despicable, and ultimately tragic. Like George W. with a worse haircut.)
22. Ari Gold, Entourage
(For his tantrums.)
23. Larry David, Curb Your Enthusiasm
(In, say, 15 years, I will become him.)
24. Mr. Rosso, Freaks and Geeks
(There isn't a a character on this show that I didn't identify with and/or adore in some way. But Rosso wins out for his execrable cover band.)
25. Jayne Cobb, Firefly
(Shiny. At least he didn't die in the movie.)
26. Lex Luthor, Smallville
(Did it ever occur to you that maybe the hero of the story. . . is Ziget?)
27. Denny Crane, Boston Legal
(This space could be taken by any Shatner character, really. Aren't they all the same?)
28. Jack Bristow, Alias
(Not to be fucked with. Unless, you know, your show is cancelled.)
29. George Michael Bluth, Arrested Development
(Another dude who can bust me up without really having to do anything.)
30. President Laura Roslin, Battlestar Galactica
(I keep expecting her to fuck up, but she manages to rise above it all. I might be willing to follow her to the Promised Land.)
31. David Brent, The Office
(Not just a pair of tits.)

Fuck, I watch a lot of TV.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

27. Denny Crane, Boston Legal

Love the Shat. Remember when we saw the Shat live in Pasadena? My world felt so complete that day. Comedy Central had a roast for him over the weekend and, sigh, I didn't get to see it because I have no cable. Murh.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Chazzbot said...

Ah, Pasadena. That was a great trip. I'll always remember Wesley Crusher flirting with Lynne, and seeing Ricardo Montalban cry.

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home