2.24.2008

Chazzbot's Oscar Picks (Updated with Winners)

I was hoping I'd be able to see all the best picture nominees before today, but with only hours left before the beginning of the awards ceremony, I figured I'd better get my picks posted so I don't spend Monday morning fielding calls from angry bookies. So here goes.

For a complete and printable list of nominees, here's a convenient PDF file. I'll check back in tomorrow to see how my choices fared.

Animated Feature: Persepolis
I wouldn't be upset if Ratatouille won, but I don't know many animation fans who would say that Pixar has gone unrecognized for its features in the last few years. Persepolis sends an important message in this election year. And in this perpetually frustrating category, how does Surf's Up get nominated rather than The Simpsons Movie?

Art Direction: Sweeney Todd
A stylish looking film, and more interesting than the other nominees. WINNER!

Cinematography: No Country for Old Men
The gorgeous, haunting, desolate photography of this film is what makes it an Oscar contender in the first place. If you're a fan of this category, check out this fun list of the year's best shots.

Costume Design: Elizabeth: The Golden Age
I get a charge out of watching Cate Blanchett prance around in, well, in pretty much anything, but especially those Elizabethan (redundant?) horse-riding, sword-wielding outfits. Once more unto the breach, with corsets tight! WINNER!

Documentary Feature: No End in Sight
We're running out of time to remind anyone who's still unaware that George W. Bush is a fucking twit.

Film Editing: The Bourne Ultimatum
Did you see that shot where Jason crashes through the window? Holy shit! Even Indiana Jones has got to give up props for that. WINNER!

Foreign Language Film
I don't have a pick in this category because nobody saw any of the fucking nominees. When are the rules for this category going to be revised to reflect, you know, movies that actually get screened in the United States?

Makeup: Norbit
Remember how pissed off Eddie Murphy got last year when he was denied Oscar gold? I think it would be a hoot to see Norbit advertised as an Oscar winning film. Let the devaluation of the Academy continue!

Original Score: Ratatouille
Evidently, the Academy changed the rules this year so voters in this category no longer get copies of the nominated scores on CD. Voters now have to consider the score only within the context of the film. What kind of bullshit is that? Way to devalue composing, Academy dorks! Anyway, the score for Ratatouille is a worthy addition to the grand tradition of creative, amusing and ADD-pleasing animation music. Raymond Scott and Carl Stalling would be pleased by this wonderful score.

Original Song
Who cares? I'm not even looking forward to hearing these songs performed during the ceremony. Meh.

Sound Editing: Ratatouille
Layers upon layers of sound delight. A 5.1 surround sound aficionado's dream.

Sound Mixing: No Country for Old Men
There are many passages in this film in which the camera gazes out at vast, lonely landscapes of geographic and/or human desolation, and these passages are emphasized by an exquisitely delicate soundtrack. Think of Chigurh slowly treading outside Llewelyn Moss' hotel room, a scene in which dramatic tension is almost entirely conveyed by the not-quite-absence of light and sound. Think of the wind whistling around the corpses of drug dealers. Think of the distinctive slap of Chigurh's palm on his ever-present decision-making coins. Genius is at work here.

Visual Effects: Transformers
Jesus, can you beat giant freakin robots fighting on the interstate? Well, turns out you can, but Sunshine wasn't nominated.

Adapted Screenplay: There Will Be Blood
The screenplay for No Country for Old Men hit almost all the right notes from Cormac McCarthy's novel, but anyone who's tried to slog through Upton Sinclair knows how tricky it would be to mine dialogic gold (or, in this case, oil) from that turgid prose. Plus, I can say with confidence that I will be quoting the milkshake speech for at least the next ten years, to the increasing annoyance of my friends and co-workers.

Original Screenplay: The Savages
I know Juno is probably the favorite here, and props must be given to the audacity of Lars and the Real Girl's premise, but The Savages surprised me by taking what could be an easily sentimentalized concept and wringing honest human emotions out of both its characters and its audience.

Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett (I'm Not There)
Cate Blanchett as 60's-era Bob Dylan? I don't even care that she's not wearing a corset!

Leading Actress: Laura Linney (The Savages)
A surprisingly layered and complex performance. Not surprising because I wouldn't expect Linney to deliver such a performance, but because it would be easy to end up pitying her character, and I ended up cheering her.

Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men)
Not even close, friendo. WINNER!

Leading Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis (There Will Be Blood)
Tommy Lee Jones gave two outstanding performances this year, and I would not be averse to seeing him win for his less-visible role from In the Valley of Elah. Ultimately, however, I don't think Jones' quiet dignity can compete with the complete bugfuck insanity of Daniel Day-Lewis as Daniel Plainview. He is the Third Revelation, muthafucka! WINNER!

Directing: There Will Be Blood
I noted elsewhere on this blog that with this film Paul Thomas Anderson had entered the pantheon of great film directors. Additionally, though I'm not sure how much direction an actor like Daniel Day-Lewis needs, Anderson deserves credit for eliciting equally notable performances from the rest of his cast, who are not diminished by the lead actor. And Anderson deserves to win just for the balls-out brilliance of one of the most unique films I've seen in some time. Accordingly:

Best Picture: There Will Be Blood
I drink it up! WTF?

Hurry, Oscar fans! Only 3 1/2 hours left to argue with me!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I skipped the Oscars this year (I was sick and disinterested) but was surprised that Atonement won for score - the clips I've heard make it seem like someone is typing through a concert. (is that clever or just annoying?) The same guy did Pride & Prejudice, however, which should have won because it's beautiful.

Anyway, I would have picked The Kite Runner as the most interesting and memorable soundtrack to listen to, but I like Ian McEwan novels, so why complain?

BTW, did anyone else follow that Best Picture montage wondering what great films *lost* to those movies?

1:28 PM  
Blogger Chazzbot said...

Yeah, I'm still bitter than "Annie Hall" won in 1978 over "Star Wars" and that "Chariots of Fire" beat out "E.T."

The Kite Runner score was my second choice after Ratatouille. I heard a short feature on the Atonement ST on NPR, and the typing noises were deliberate. I find them a little too clever and, hence, annoying.

The Oscar ceremony this year was even duller than usual, and I say this as a long-term fan of the show. I think the writers ended up with not enough time to map out a show and the producers ended up going with tedious rehashes of past winners. The irony of the montage clips, though, is how they invariably highlighted the quirky, memorable speeches given by the past winners, while the modern broadcast protocals of the ceremony constantly reinforce the idea that winners have only a very limited time to make memorable speeches!

In fact, one of my favorite moments of this year's program was when Jon Stewart brought back one of the winners who had been cut off by the orchestra, and allowed her to make her thank-you comments in full. And guess what? It was probably one of the most memorable speeches of the evening!

My other favorite moment was when Seth Rogen got into an "argument" with his co-presenter (that Superbad dude) about which one of them was supposed to be Dame Judi Dench. It was unrehearsed and spontaneous and funny, in sharp contrast with most of the rest of the program.

Me and my librarian friend got into an argument today over whether There Will Be Blood should have won! I argued for it, he thought it was too obtuse and boring. Philistine!

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Original Song
Who cares? I'm not even looking forward to hearing these songs performed during the ceremony. Meh"

Did you see Once? It was surprisingly good for such a low-key movie. I'd like your take on it if you've had teh chance to view it.

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home